was named the "End of the World Lighthouse", due to a novel
written by Jules Verne (Le Phare du Boute du Monde. Dc.1905). It was the
only light that sailors had in the Austral sea. It was also the last reference
before Antarctica, or what was otherwise previously called, the unknown.
In 1995, an agreement is signed between
the Ushuaia Maritime Museum and the Argentine Navy in order to carry
out the necessary archeological research in San Juan de Salvamento.
The work was carried out in the cementary, the wharf, the Subprefecture
and the lighthouse.
The remains of the lighthouse were taken
to Ushuaia and, based on drawings elaborated by Mirón Gonik,
a 1/1 scale maquette was inaugurated on October 3rd 1997. (vista
de frente - planta del techo y vista
medio frente-corte radial-sistema de iluminación)
The Maritime Museum edited
a book on the "La
Isla de los Estados y el Faro del Fin del Mundo" where
the adventure and investigation are narrated in further detail.
At present, work is being carried out in
the interior of the lighthouse in order to re-create the living
conditions of lighthouse-keepers in these lighthouses, along with
further archeological investigation in San Juan de Salvamento and
Isla de los Estados in general.